Wednesday, August 27, 2008

QV Server 8.5 Upgrade

Last week I upgraded my Server (QVS) from 8.20 to 8.50.6091 and Publisher (QVP) from 8.20 to 8.20.6085.

I don't have test server licenses, so both upgrades were done to production servers in the evening when few users were active.

QVS
After confirming I had current backups, I uninstalled the previous version and installed the new version. As stated in the documentation, the server primary folder needed to be respecified.

Only one problem has been encountered, and it's significant. Server collaboration objects, including server bookmarks, created on 8.2 were no longer visible on 8.5! New objects can be created, but the old ones are "gone". QT support has identified this as a bug and I hope to receive a fix soon, including recovering the 8.2 objects.

Update 8/28: QT expects to provide a fix for this "mid to late September".


QVP
After confirming I had backups of the server files, I shut down the services and performed a backup of the SQL Server QVPR repository. This was followed by an uninstall and install of the new version.

Two problems occurred at startup.

1. As expected, I had to reconnect to the repository (SQL Server QVPR database) at startup. When I tried to connect to the SQL Server, the connection failed with
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

The Execution Service and the Directory Service were both using domain accounts, per the documentation. The CommandCenter Service was using a local account, so it appeared to me that it must be trying to connect using the CommandCenter credentials. I modified the CommandCenter to use a domain account, but then could not get the ControlPanel page to display again. I was getting an asp.net error page -- something about could not connect to localhost:8081 (I didn't record the message and can't recreate it).

I worked around the problem by using a SQL Server account to make the repository connection. Once the connection was established, I could change the Repository Settings screen back to "Use Windows authentication" and all works fine.

2. The document links in the Access Point page were missing a "/" character.

The generated links: qvp://serverfolder/doc.qvw
were missing a "/" between the server and folder names. I fixed this by adding a "/" to LinkMachineName in settings.xml in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\Publisher\AccesspointService

<AddQvs Port="4747" LinkMachineName="(FromRequest)/"

My understanding is that a patch release is due out in early September.
Update 8/28: QT expects the patch release in "mid to late September".